Spirulina Kills 83% of Pancreatic Cancer Cells in Vitro: An extract of spirulina was just discovered to kill 83% of human pancreatic cancer cells (PA-TU-8902) and also to slow growth of pancreatic tumors in mice by nearly 50% when fed to the mice orally. The spirulina extract was also highly toxic to each of the two other pancreatic cancer types tested. Spirulina is a nutrient dense blue-green alga which past research has shown may have numerous health benefits, including boosting the immune system, treating candida overgrowth, controlling appetite, and possibly controlling blood sugar in diabetes. Spirulina has also shown activity against prostate cancer, breast cancer, leukemia, melanoma and colon cancer. Sprirulina has also been used in clinical trials on boosting immunity (ongoing), detox for arsenic poisoning, and treating patients with HIV. Spirulina powder and tablets are widely available and make a great addition to a detox diet, anticancer diet or immune-boosting diet.
Spirulina is a one celled, nutrient dense organism and is thousands of years older than chlorella. It does not have the hard cell wall that makes chlorella closer to being a plant than algae.
In addition to being a powerhouse of essential vitamins and minerals, spirulina is a potent detoxifier. For that reason, it is best to start with a small dose and work your way up over time.
• WHAT KIND SHOULD I BUY?
Spirulina is grown in an uncontrolled environment that has the potential to become contaminated with heavy metals and other toxins, it is important to choose an organic brand from a reputable source. It comes in capsules, tablets, powders and flakes.
• WHAT ARE SOME BENEFITS OF SPIRULINA?
• It has significant immune-boosting properties.
• Spirulina has been shown to encourage and support the growth of healthy bacterial flora in your gut, which can help keep candida overgrowth under control. Those who suffer from autoimmune diseases such as Crohn’s disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, Lupus or fibromyalgia can often times have chronic candida yeast that can both cause and worsen your symptoms.
• Studies have shown it lowers cholesterol.
• It’s packed with protein. Spirulina is 65-71 percent complete protein compared to beef.
• It is an excellent source of vital amino acids and minerals easily assimilated by your body.